Love your smile again with dental implants
Advanced dental techniques have made it easy to replace missing teeth without compromising adjacent teeth, such as with dental implants. A dental implant is an artificial root form, usually made of titanium to support restorations that resemble a tooth or group of teeth to replace missing dentition.
Losing teeth can be devastating, both cosmetically and functionally. At Cosmetic Dental Specialties we are comforted in the knowledge that dental implants have been able to enhance the quality of life for our patients. Our doctors are specialists in the field of implant dentistry, so we are confident in the placement and maintenance of all implant procedures, allowing our patients the luxury of relying on our expertise.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into the jaw to hold a replacement tooth or teeth. Dental implants are an ideal method of tooth replacement for people in good general health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to an accident, periodontal disease, severe decay or some other reason.
- Titanium, bone-integrated implant
- Implant abutment
- Implant porcelain crown
The following are advantages of replacing missing teeth with dental implants
- Maintain the integrity of bone structure after tooth loss- It is known that if they are not replaced after tooth loss, the jaw bone where the tooth is missing will continue to atrophy just like a muscle might if it is not in use. Putting implants in place of a missing tooth or teeth will ensure that the bone is under use and therefore is maintained longer.
- Preserve the health of adjacent teeth- Since there is no need for bridgework, neighboring teeth are not altered to support dental implants, presenting a significant long-term benefit.
- Improved ability to speak, eat and smile in comfort and confidence
- Offers freedom from dentures (for fully edentulous patients there is an option to wear a denture but one that is “locked in” to implants placed in the jaw, so that the dentures are secure, there is no need for paste and fully functional)
- Looks and feels more like natural teeth thus improving the facial profile
In our New York City office, at Cosmetic Dental Specialties we have been successfully placing implants and restoring smiles for the past 25 years. The procedure is done under local anesthesia and if necessary and advisable, we offer our patients conscious sedation (a state of sedation characterized by a minimally depressed consciousness where the patient remains responsive but relaxed) to offer an extra level of comfort and relaxation.
Losing a tooth can be devastating, not only because it affects the way you look, but also because it can lead to other physical problems that may affect your health and prevent you from smiling with confidence.
It is vitally important to replace missing teeth with dental implants promptly in order to prevent health consequences such as:
- Bone loss
- Shifting and drifting of the teeth
- Alteration in the bite as a result of shifting teeth
- Jaw joint problems
- Difficulty in chewing properly
- Additional stress on the remaining teeth
Bridges vs. Implants
For many patients dental implants offer clear advantages over traditional bridgework or dentures. Before dental implants were perfected, in order to replace missing teeth we had to fashion tooth-supported bridges or removable dentures. With bridges, healthy tooth structure has to be ground away by reshaping neighboring teeth, which allowed us to use them as supports for anchoring the new bridge. Unfortunately, these support teeth would be subjected to forces beyond their threshold, so the bone surrounding these teeth would begin to resorb, thus weakening their natural support system.