Treatment Of Bad Breath/Halitosis
Bad breath, also referred to chronic Halitosis, could be more than just embarrassing which is why our team at Cosmetic Dental Specialists in NYC gets to the root of bad breath. Our dentists understand that treatment of bad breath depends on its cause. See below for a list of common causes of bad breath, along with the treatments offered at Cosmetic Dental Specialists in NYC.
- The first step to naturally get rid of bad breath is to hydrate your mouth and body. In other words, drink water!
- The Mayo Clinic recommendation is for men to drink about 13 cups (3 liters) and women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.
- Dry mouth may be a side effect from taking medications.
- Gastro-intestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome can also cause bad breath.
- For proper treatment you should contact your doctor.
- Food traps caused by old restorations, fillings, and crowns with ill-fitting margins trap food particles and bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Food traps may also be created by teeth that are crowded or spaces around teeth that have migrated due to adjacent tooth loss.
- A special filling can be placed in the gap to prevent future damage.
At Cosmetic Dental Specialists in NYC, we do a thorough periodontal exam in order to determine if the cause of a patient’s chronic bad breath may be due to an infection of the gums.
With proper periodontal treatment, prescription mouthwashes and oral hygiene instructions, halitosis may be improved or completely eradicated within a few weeks!
It is important to stress very clearly periodontal disease is NOT the only cause of bad breath. If once the periodontal evaluation and any necessary treatment is completed, the halitosis persists then we recommend that you visit your general physician and/or a specialist in ENT (Ear Nose Throat).